Throw Kittens Away In A Plastic Bag

Friday, March 18, 2016



It might be true that some animals are enemies by nature but it does not always have to be like that. Back in Holland, we started keeping chickens in our garden. They were quite big and during the daytime I let them roam around the garden. One day I noticed my cat behaving like he had nice prey in mind. It got me worrying when I saw the prey: one of the eight chickens. Worried or not I did not want to interfere hysterically and waited for things to happen. Ramses attacked with a few giant leaps, the chickens hit the alarm and before I knew it all sisters were there to defend her. Now the roles were switched when they started attacking Ramses. One of the chickens jumped up high in front of Ramses and tried to kick him with her claw. Never ever in my entire life have I seen a cat running that fast as Ramses did then. He then climbed into the highest tree and we had a good laugh as you might understand. Chicken in Dutch is kip. So we now had our own “Karate kip”.  What was remarkable however was that ever since Ramses and the chickens walked together and by chance ate together as well. 

Chickens themselves are not that inviting. The first chickens we had here were given by a friend. We started building a big coop and when it was finished I decided to buy some more. The salesman told me to place them at night in the dark in the shelter. “The next morning the ‘old’ chickens will think ‘hmm, I guess they slept here last night so it must be OK’ and you will have no problems”. He was right. Here in the Philippines in San Juan, we had chickens and my housemate came back one day after visiting his mother. She had given him a chicken. He let it go in the garden and the poor thing was chased by all the others. She then was never allowed to sleep with the others and lived her own life, separated from the others. Hens protect their chicks like crazy but don’t let other chicks approach too near. The hen can kill them.

One of the 3 pups and the adopted kitten playing like brothers
Nature is beautiful yet cruel at the same time. There is not much we can do about that. But we as well thinking and civilized people do have choices. If we want pets it means we are responsible for them. Most people I know treat their dogs and cats like they are their own kids. The pets definitely are part of the family. Last week I wrote about cruelty done to animals. The blog was barely posted or I heard a young kitten somewhere in the back of the compound. The very next day the sound came from the front side where I saw our neighbor busy with his dog and her puppies. He started talking to me so I went over there. He told me that they had found a kitten that was thrown into the gutter in a plastic bag. The young doggie mother now took care of it. “Look, the kitten is her favorite kid now” the man said and sure enough she was taking care of it. It was amazing to see. Dogs and cats often do not go very well together but everybody who loves pets undoubtedly knows stories of them becoming best of friends. This shows that our friends have more compassion then some of us. If you cannot take the responsibility to take care of your pets then do not even start keeping them. 

Love the ones you’re with and be loved in return.