Gay Eyes, My Baby’s Got Gay Eyes.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016


gay pride



My English teacher was one of the first to know. We became good friends and when I was 19 years old I rented rooms. She came to visit me and I told her that I was gay. She started laughing and said she had already known from day one because I was such a big fan of Diana Ross. Mind you, this was 1975 and friends of mine just had had lots of problems with neighbors who threw stones through their window because “hey faggots! We don’t like your kind here!” That is exactly how it was back then in the Netherlands. But soon things would change.

Ever since I came out of the closet I never could understand why people had problems with others being gay. For me, it was all so simple. I had chosen to live my life as I liked it and everybody had to mind their own business. If all people could think that way there would be no problems at all. Unfortunately, it is not like that. And so the fight for my rights started.

In the ’70s a gay movement became very active, not only in the Netherlands. We demonstrated a lot. We wanted our equal rights. And there was a need for that since Anita Bryant started her crusade against homosexuals. It came to a point that gays were killed by people who followed her. Some were killed while the attacker referred to Bryant and then added: “In the name of Jesus”. Also, bumper stickers were sold saying ‘Kill a queer for Christ’. Now you might understand why I do not like religions. Truth must be known however that bit by bit things were changing for the better. At the time the Netherlands was top-rated when it came to tolerances. Yes, those were the days my friends. We thought they’d never end. (Thank you, Mary Hopkins) Somewhere in the ’80s, we did get the opportunity to be registered as gay couples. A big step forward but it was not enough. Then, finally, on March 31 2001at midnight the mayor of Amsterdam married the first 4 gay couples and same-sex marriage were there. And legal. More and more countries would follow.

Much to my displeasure I have seen scenes for many years now that I cannot approve of at all. In Amsterdam, one can ‘enjoy’ the gay pride every last Saturday of June. Ever since it started I have wondered, what is there to be proud of? It does not make sense to me at all. First of all: we all hate being discriminated against. And then we state we are different? Give me a break! I consider myself being a human being just like everybody else. That I prefer to spend my life with a man does not really make me different. If that would be the case than straight men could celebrate once a year that they fancy fat women, or skinny. Or that they prefer women with red, blond, brown or black hair. I mean, it should be nobody’s business who we prefer to share our lives with. How can we be proud of what we feel? Sure I am proud too. Proud of how I think, how I manage my own life. Proud of the fact that I dare to face challenges. But why should I be proud of being gay? As a matter of fact, to me, it is the same as ‘proud to be black’. You did not do anything for it. We were born that way. What I am trying to say here is that I can be (very) proud of things I’ve done and do, but not for who I am. I was simply born as me. Just like all of us. 

In August there is the big Amsterdam Canal Parade. Again another LGBT festivity where gays and lesbians parade on boats through the canals. Over 100.000 visitors go to Amsterdam just to see this parade. Members of the government are much honored when they are invited to join. Well, each his own of course but can I please pass? Why should I expose myself half-naked for an audience that likes to see monkeys doing funny things that humans never do? Whether you like it or not, I do have heard people talking about this event without any respect. To them, it is like going to the zoo or a circus. They do not become more tolerant. They are not interested in equal rights. They just want to have a good laugh. It is definitely not gaining any sympathy. In my opinion only the city of Amsterdam is gaining. All the tourists need food and drinks after all. 

Here it is time to clarify why I am not pleased with these activities. Allow me to go back to the ’80s, please. Back then I was volunteering in an ‘all-purpose house’ in my neighborhood. That last Saturday of June we all were going out for a dinner that was offered as a thank you. One of us was working in a bar till 6 PM so we decided to gather there. The coordinator then asked me if I should not be at the gay parade that by then did not support any good cause anymore. It was just showing off. So I told the man that if I wanted to get more respect I should better do it in my own way. In the places, I visited, at work, etc. Then I decided to have an example to make things clear. Close to me was this guy who people had warned me for because he did not like gays. I grabbed him and pulled him to me and the coordinator. “Now,” I said, “people have been warning me for this guy because he might beat me up for being gay. But I know he will never do because I respect him as a human being and in reverse, he respects me for that”. Sure, I was playing with fire as others told me later that night. The very next Tuesday evening I was watching the news when the doorbell rang. I opened the door and saw the guy with a friend. “Hi Frans, I was wondering if you were home and if you have some coffee for us?” We had a good talk over coffee and beer. The guy was not that bad at all. He wanted to know a lot and was really interested in history. It was an eye-opener for him. And now I got something to be proud of. 

Today there are still over 40 countries where people risk going to jail just because they are gay. Even the death penalty. If the gay community would be a bit more concerned they would use gay pride to demand equal rights for everybody, all over the world. There is still nothing to party about. A lot of work is still to be done. It the gay community demands to be accepted and respected then we all should take care of our brothers and sisters in these countries I mentioned here. It is too early to party like we won the super bowl. As long as there are people oppressed, sent to jail or worse we should stand united and make sure we are being heard.


Love the ones you’re with and be loved in return