Vasco's Subic

Monday, April 25, 2016



Picture this: Inside the house, it is about 90 degrees F and the power is cut off due to maintenance of the wires. If you want to fry an egg you don’t need the gas stove. Just place the egg on the counter, add salt and pepper to taste and voila! Of course, I am exaggerating here but I guess you will agree that these temperatures are a bit too much, especially when you cannot turn on a fan. 

It was under these circumstances that my friends decided to have dinner out. We went to a resort  I had never been before: Vasco’s, located in Subic’s Freeport zone.  Upon entering the ambiance looks quite nice. It has something of an old ship and looks wide and open, ready for many people and yet the place is not cramped. All tables have a glass plate including a photograph on every corner. 


The staff is very friendly and helpful. When it comes to food it became a bit of a disappointment. Our spicy squid was served on sizzling plates but it was far from sizzling and neither it was spicy. Fortunately, the Chili powder was. Also, the beef was not really hot when served. However, it was tender and the taste was good. Only later I realized that maybe Vasco’s too had a brownout and was running on a generator which could possibly be the reason for the warm but not hot food. Maybe we had just picked the wrong dishes. 
 
Sizzling Squid
After we finished our dinner a young man and 2 young women came in and picked the table next to us. I told my friends “I hear them speaking Dutch and from the sound of it they are either from the south of Holland or they are Flemish.” I decided to ask them and it turned out they were Flemish. All of a sudden I heard myself talk Dutch which was a bit weird.

To close this (short) blog: Sometimes I prefer to take the fire escape leaving a place. Here I would not advise it.
 
In case of fire: JUMP!
Love the ones you’re with and be loved in return
Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Vascos' ambiance is quite good but their food wasn't that great. I assume you ordered Bulalo (Beef Stew)- should be served hot. Oh well, years ago Vasco's food was great.

fransvanliempt said...

Well, as I mentioned, maybe they too had problems with the power that day. It's worth to give it another try.

Playing Tourist said...

Hi Sir Frans! This is Katherine. SBFZ doesn't have power disruption that day. lol