Why I Am An Atheist

Thursday, December 26, 2019


Church


From several people I have heard they had a hard time to become an atheist. I cannot say that I saw it as something that was hard to do. For me, it was nothing more than a logical next step in life. An institution that condemns me just for being gay is not one I like to belong to. Simple as that. But truth to be known, the religious people keep tracking you down. Be it via radio, television or on the streets and in shops. Trying to tell us that we need God in our hearts and lives. Trying to convince us that is the only way for salvation. Salvation from what? The only salvation I ever got was when I left the Catholic church. A filthy institution that got is wealth from stealing.

There's no escape; they haunt you even while shopping

I remember a Saturday morning when I had a coffee in a small and cozy coffee shop in the Mall. A guy approached me and asked if he could sit at my table. I will call him Rene as I believe that was his name. We had some conversation in which he told me he earlier had come on a group of salvation army soldiers. They were singing. One of them walked to Rene to invite him into the group. Rene was in shock. They had some talk about Rene being gay and therefore he would never think of becoming a member of any religious group. The soldier then said he would tell the group to pray for him so he could go to heaven. When Rene tole me how he responded I laughed my ass off. He had a sharp answer: "Don't you ever dare! Then I will meet you there again. No, Thank you very much!"

This now is a perfect example of how the religious keep on bothering people anywhere. Well, I'm pretty sure we all our own experiences with the Jehovah Witnesses. They are probably the most annoying of all.

My former boyfriend Ruud and I once visited Sevilla, a small town in Spain. Upon entering the great church, we were not allowed in without our arms decent covered. My T-shirt was okay but Ruud had to cover his shoulders. He told me "No worries, I was prepared for this" and took a T-shirt out of his bag. So this God, the "creator" of all of us can't stand the sight of bare upper arms? Pitiful! Well, once inside I really got mad seeing several stalls with toys for kids. Soldiers and tanks were the most important items. Hello! I got so mad that, unconsciously, I raised my voice. Immediately a priest came to us, asking if we kindly could show some more respect for the "good Lord". That was it! I couldn't believe my own eyes and ears. Hypocrisy at its best!

This reminds me of the time when I was much younger when I was going to a mass on mother's day. Only to please my mom. The priest about unity between religious. In his opinion they actually should come together. It was common that at the end of the mass the congregation prayed for the newly born and people who had passed away. This time the priest added, "Let us pray for all mother and especially for the catholic mothers". Contradictio in terminis at its very best! It makes me wonder, do those guys even think things over they step on the pulpit?

Then again, I never saw much consistency in the church and its "good" book. Why it is called the good book beats me. It is filled with cruelties.

For the past few days, I have been thinking a lot. Not just about the stupidity that someone felt the need to give his life to set us free from the sin that some old woman committed after eating an apple (!) when being lured by a talking snake(!)

No, I have been thinking: I always heard that God loves us unconditionally. For sure that sounds great. My problem is that it is a huge lie. If we love somebody unconditionally, it means we don't ask any favor in return. How is that with God? Well, he doesn't ask for a favor either. He commands us! If we don't accept Jesus - who by the way also is God - we will not go to heaven. If we sin, we will go to hell (Will take me years and years to greet all my old friends and relatives there!). At the same time, God always forgives us. Is there any priest who can make clear what it is? Are we going to hell or will be forgiven? It has to be one or the other. Church leaders: Make up your mind!

But what strikes me the most is the stupidity of the religious people. When a patient cured of a serious disease all credits go to God. If the patient dies however all the blame is put on the doctors. Hypocrisy of the largest order.

Many religious parents refuse their children to be protected against diseases by injections. They figure that if their children get sick it is the will of God. They can not think that God also gave us the knowledge and skills to develop those medicines? Just to think those people could be your own parents. Wouldn't you assume they do something to protect you? Praying is nothing more than walking away from your own responsibilities!

This reminds me of a great joke I heard a long time ago:

For years and years, a farmer has seen how bad the vacant lot next to his looked. Weeds and bushes were growing. It was nothing but a big, wild wasteland. Then one day he decides to buy the lot. For months he works 12 hours a day, chopping woods, clearing the bushes, plowing the land etc., etc. Finally, he can sow and fertilize. Soon one evening at sunset he leans on the fence and looks over his new crops. A priest passes by and says to the farmer. "Well, well, with God's help you have made it a perfect place where the crops are going great!" The farmer looks at him, chuckles and says "With God's help eh? Well, you should have seen it when your God took care of it all alone!"


Love the ones you're with and be loved in return.