Pointing Out The Pointer Sisters

Tuesday, October 25, 2016



When during a lunch break long, long time ago in 1973 I bought The first album of The Pointer Sisters my colleague looked in disgust when she said “You like that? That screaming? I can do the same!” My answer was “Excellent! Then let’s find us a record company and become rich!” At the time I was turning 18 years old and a big fan of The Supremes and Diana Ross. Buying this album somehow felt like I betrayed them. The feeling was gone as soon as I played the record. I was sold. In retrospect, I really had become a fan of the Pointer Sisters. Was there a rule saying one can be a fan of one singer or group only? 

The Pointer Sisters at first had this 40’s style. The picture on the album cover showed the four sisters sitting around a table. Drapes on the wall, table cloth and a vase with flowers. Even without seeing the image I can still picture it. It looked very old fashioned and therefore it was quite unique in the early ’70s. The songs were all great and no way they would fit in the pop culture. One of my favorite songs on the album “That’s how I feel” I could not even place in the spectrum of music. None of my friends nor siblings liked this music. It simply did not fit in the pop culture.
 
Front cover of "The Pointer Sisters"

The next year, 1974, I just had to get the follow-up. It was titled “That’s a plenty”. And again the girls were dressed very old fashioned. But in a great style! This album I thought could -if one had to- be categorized under Jazz. A very well-known Dutch piano player (Pim Jacobs, husband of the great and late Jazz singer Rita Reys) player made a television show with girls and he really praised them for their vocal arts. There was not a single song on this album that I did not like. Amid the jazzy tunes were one Country and Western song “Fairytale” written by Anita and Bonnie Pointer. It earned them a Grammy award. That same year the group also played the Amsterdam Concertgebouw and needless to say I had a ticket. I still remember that evening. I was all alone of course and had a seat on the front row, first balcony. I had brought a bouquet of white roses that I would love to hand to the trio (June could not be there and it was said she was ill). At the end of the event, I did not dare going downstairs being afraid everybody would see me. So I stood up and applauded the group while the bouquet was under my arm. Anita looked up, saw me and signed to throw the flowers. She caught them and threw me a blown kiss. By doing that she really made my day!

I loved this figure so much that I painted one on the back of my denim jacket. A picture of the girls was on the back cover

I cannot recall how often I have played the follow up “The Pointer Sisters Live at the Opera House”. It made me feel like I was attending their concert in Amsterdam again. A Dutch teenage-pop-magazine had a raffle and all we had to do was name our favorite musician. It did not come as a surprise to me that I had won nothing since I had named Thomas P. Salisbury. He had given it all for the girls on many recordings and also on this album. 

The third studio album “Steppin” had a completely different cover: airbrushed shoes which were a combination of high heels, basketball shoes, and shoes for tap dancing. There was some jazz on the album but to me, it sounded more like pop music. Still, again they did a great job. “Sleeping alone” was written by Stevie Wonder and that showed how great the group really was. Some songs were often played in our local disco and I would lie if I said I did not like it. But I did notice that the magic had gone.

 
Again another piece of  cover art. It was so well done even in the smallest details
When “Having a party” was released I did not feel like I had to run to the shop anymore. But sure enough I did get the album and sure enough I was not impressed at all with it. The Pointer Sisters slowly were moving into the direction of the trendy pop music and slowly I began to lose interest. The group no longer was different from the other mediocre bands. Personally I have never had feeling with Middle of the Road music.

Next thing the world knew was that the group had huge disco hits; music for the masses. Of course I am not saying that it was all bad. In those years I could often be found in the discos. Being at home I liked to listen to music of higher standards. That could even be all kinds of music from classical to hard rock. From French chansons to torch songs. But it always had to be more qualified than mediocre. 

Back on topic: No matter what has happened to the group, I still treasure the early albums very much. And if you ever got the time; those early sessions can still be found on the internet where you can enjoy their voices that delightful romp through one another. 

To see more, please look for the links and/or website on top of this page.


Love the ones you’re with and be loved in return.