Landslide Olongapo 3

Wednesday, October 19, 2016



It has been almost 3 weeks ago now that a landslide hit our compound and 2 days ago we finally could enter the backroom again. As expected there was a lot of damage. The grill was rusted and when the workers tried to get it out it collapsed. Not one of the plastic containers came out undamaged and all we could do was throw them out. The wooden cabinet crumbled down and the water pipe to the tap was completely gone. One of the first things I did was opening the washing machine. Inside it looked like it was waiting to run; all clean and dry. Amidst of all the mess that at least looked hopeful! Believe me when I say that one simply needs those little signs of hope. Bummer after bummer after bummer is not exacting motivating and there are moments that you want to throw the towel in the ring as the old Dutch adagio goes, meaning you’d like to give up. Then again; giving up just isn’t an option. I have to admit though that sometimes I cry silently. It would not be good to show my friend and housemate who also try hard to live on in the mess. 

Back to the backroom! The guys had taken out the 40 cms of mud and all the rocks. What was left was a muddy and slippery floor. For a while, I tried to sweep it with a firm broom but it soon turned out to be an impossible task. What I needed was a hose to flush the mud out. Another problem because the guys are using it all day and I definitely want them to go on. In the evening hours my friend, housemate and I could work together. After arriving home my friend talked to the contractor and came back to me telling that the guys were going to clean the next day. The contractor himself would then open up the washing machine to clean it –if needed- and to have the inside exposed to the air so it could dry up. That really sounded like a plan. After the guys would have been finished I could then clean the walls and small stuff like the table, a pair of shoes, etc. Also, I had some clothes that were taken out already and after rinsing them several times –I forgot counting but it took me many times before the water was not brown anymore- I put them in a pale filled with clear water and detergent to soak. One nice T-shirt had dark spots and as hard as I tried, I could not get them out. A minor inconvenience of course. Worse was the refrigerator that needed a new compressor because it had been moved. 
 
Cleaned stuff on the kitchen table .

By now the backroom is cleaned and so is the washing machine. They placed it in the kitchen up against the counter. Not very convenient as I found out too late. Since all the good chairs and the sofa are upstairs I can only sit on a chair of the dining table and after more than weeks my back hurts so I could not move the washing machine. Nor could I cook. I had been cleaning some of the tools earlier and they were spread out on a cloth on the table to get dry. The good news I guess is that it seems the washing machine is not damaged and I do hope that once it is dry it will run like before. Bit by bit everything will be better in the end.



Love the ones you’re with and be loved in return.