Today My Bird Flew Away…

Saturday, August 13, 2016



… is the first line of ‘October Song’ by the late and great Amy Winehouse. It also is the line that came up when our pet bird Rocky flew out of the door on an early morning last week. For the longest time, it had never been a big problem. Sometimes he flew out when somebody left but only to land on the person’s head. Bringing him back in then went without problems. Of course, his wings were clipped so he could not go far anyway. 

This time however, it was different. A guest of a housemate had stayed for the night and when they left the guest did not know about closing the door as fast as possible and we simply had forgotten to mention it. When I said goodbye I looked and saw Rocky, ready to take off. “The bird!” I shouted but it was already too late. Rocky went out and had no plan to land on the guest’s head this time but instead, he really flew away. The three ran outside and saw him going around our neighbor’s house. The house is in a small compound accessible via a gate. We went through the gate but out in the street, we could not find Rocky at all. It was early morning and there was a lot of traffic. We crossed the street and the guys told me they saw Rocky on the balcony of our neighbor’s house. The man had just left to bring his kids to school. For over an hour we were running back and forth between the street and the compound, whistling the tunes Rocky knows so well and calling him but it was obvious that he had no intention to show himself. I got quite nervous (after I got pissed first) because I know how much the bird means to Willie. Busy getting Rocky back I also had to go inside to read Willie’s messages and he told me help was on its way; a friend was coming over. I told Paul he’d better go to work since someone else was coming now. While waiting for the new help I went to the corner of the compound and street with a plate and spoon. The idea was that if the bird would hear me eat some fried rice he might come down since he likes fried rice very much. While eating I did indeed hear him! I looked up and saw him flying. Flying away that is. He crossed the street, high in the air made a slight curve to the left. And that was the last I saw of our Rocky.

Now I had to inform Willie and believe me, I felt terrible, knowing it was just impossible to figure out where the bird could be. There are many side streets and of course, I could not see where he went down. The friend arrived together with a co-worker and all I could do was offering them a cup of coffee and tell them what had happened. Willie and I kept sending messages back and forth during the day and in one of them, I suggested he’d make a ‘poster’ that we could hang in the main road. We searched for a good picture but it was already getting late and Willie told me he was going to make prints the next day.

Do I need to mention that is was a bit harder that night to fall asleep? It had started to rain and I imagined poor Rocky getting wet all over, trying to find shelter. If it was not already eaten by a cat!
The next day Willie sent me a picture of the poster he had made. As soon as he arrived home I took some and hang them on the wall of 3 stores. The owners know us so they had no problems with it. While hanging them many people came to see what I was doing and of course, I got the question “How much is the reward?” I honestly could not give an answer since Willie had not mentioned it. In the bedroom that night I told Willie I’d go out the next day to hang more posters and he told me to wait till our housemate would come home so we could do it together. That next evening P. and I went out to hang the rest of the posters which took us more than an hour. So far, that was all we could do and we just had to wait until somebody would call. I told Willie that I was afraid we would end up with 5 Rocky’s in the end but fortunately that did not happen.

By now it was Friday, the fourth day without Rocky and yes I really missed his company and his singing and talking. In the afternoon after coming back home from some shopping our landlord was sitting on the front porch of his house and he told me that 3 men had told him they had news about the bird. But he did not trust them and told them there was nobody home. It was around 7 PM when Willie got home and left immediately because the bird was found. I went out to have a look, not understanding what exactly was going on. Just outside the gate, he was there with P. and 3 strangers. They were about to go to Barretto where Rocky was supposed to be according to one of the guys. That far? Impossible. But Willie insisted on going there so I was left behind while our dinner was getting cold. The guys got back home empty-handed. No Rocky. “But,” Willie said “We’re going back there tomorrow at 7 AM. The lady did not want to disturb the birds with light since it is already dark and the birds are sleeping now”. Frankly, I had my doubts and I told Willie to make sure that the bird for sure was Rocky. “You know he has a crooked toe on his left foot!?” He assured me he would not bring some Rocky replacement. There is only 1 Rocky in this world.

Waiting for the guys to return seemed to take hours and hours and when Willie finally came in with only 1 poster in his hand he said: “It wasn’t Rocky”. Just when I was to ask why the hell he then brought the poster P. came in with the cage. It was the one and only Rocky! Rocky was back and Willie told me the story. Construction workers had caught him and when a friend from Barretto came to visit them he told about this lady there who was many cockatiels in a huge cage in her garden so the guys sold it to her. Later they saw our flyers and contacted P. via his phone number. I wondered if they were the same guys our landlord had mentioned earlier but it did not matter anymore.
 
He's back!
The first 2 or 3 days Rocky was not like the Rocky we knew so well. Maybe he was in shock. Also, it seemed he had some sort of cold. Fortunately, in the end, he found his old self again and now we enjoy his company again. Well… if he doesn’t start nibbling on the wires and papers that is. And from now on, when somebody leaves the house we make sure Rocky is safe inside his cage. His wings are cut but we are just being extra careful now.

Love the ones you’re with and be loved in return

By the way, have you read my other blog about the book promo?

http://dutchwriter2.blogspot.com/2016/07/a-new-breakthrough.html