Banca Bancaan - Olongapo City

Saturday, July 16, 2016



Excuses for not posting the past few weeks. 

Two days ago My friend Willie told me that he and his friends Katharine and Anton were planning to visit the Banca Bancaan waterfalls. Since I have problems walking long distances, due to diabetes, we were not sure if I could make it. It would be at least a one hour walk on a rough surface. Definitely, not my favorite thing to do but I decided to give it a try. If the road would turn out to be too rough for me I could always go back.

The road was a little rough sometimes but I was determined to go all the way and boy, am I glad I did! We left home and it took us less than 20 minutes to get to the meeting point. As soon as we started walking the track leading to the waterfalls, it was already hard to imagine that we still were so close to the city. And now we were entering the home of the Aeta_people

Aeta house

The road went up but never too steep, rather a bit of slippery at some points. The way the inhabitants, both young and old, move around there is just amazing. 

Aeta mother and kids

Sometimes I really felt like a child who is making its first steps. Although the way was going up we did not have to go all the way to the top. Now, for the first time ever I realized that waterfalls come from a higher point. Hey! I am Dutch. I was born in Holland. Place an egg, sunny side up, on the road and people already wonder where that mountain suddenly came from!

So in less than an hour –with only 2 short stops for my hurting leg- we found a nice spot with a tiny but beautiful waterfall. In the small lake were hundreds of little fish and once I put my legs in the water they started nibbling on them and my feet. Later, while I was under up to my head they were all over my body, giving a weird sensation.

 
So many fish, clearing my skin
We had a lovely picnic on the shore when a few guys passed by with big bags. They offered us some mangos and in return, they were invited to join us for lunch. We did not have enough plates but that was no problem at all. One of the guys went to a banana tree, cut a big leaf and there was a plate big enough for all.
Gumamela Creek Olongapo
The mango guys

Everything today went so jovial and we had such a good time. However, since it is the rainy season and we saw the sky getting darker we had to leave a bit earlier than planned.  

Gumamela Creek
Small lake between the falls

Even small falls are very powerful

An 'art' picture of the waterfall

For me it is very clear; I definitely want to go back someday. If alone to leave the noise from the city behind and instead enjoy the quiet and peaceful and beautiful surroundings.

Love the ones you’re with and be loved in return.

Have you, by the way, also take a look at my other blog? Click here.


Anonymous said...

Hi Sir, Do you think it is safe to go there during wet season? My friends are planning to go there this weekend.

fransvanliempt said...

Hello, I would recommend they wear strong shoes/boots since the road up for sure will be muddy and slippery. But I think it is definitely worth trying.