THE PHILIPPINES AS SEEN THROUGH DUTCH EYES (PART 3)

Tuesday, February 9, 2016



When you like to go downtown for (window) shopping you need an extra pair of eyes. Not because of all the things that you like to see in the windows. No, you to have to look very good where you are walking. The sidewalks are not always equal or smooth. Humps and lumps or holes will often be in your way. It can also happen that some metal pipe sticks out of the pavement. Not neatly at the side, close to the buildings. No just in the middle. No problem when you know about this, just mind your steps, right? Wrong! The danger is not only the pavement but it also comes from above. Cables, big umbrellas and ropes are in the way everywhere. The rainy season is the most dangerous because many salespeople then will hang huge tarpaulins in order to keep their stall dry. They are hanging down from a building to some pole in the street. No, for most Philippine people this is not a real problem. But the average foreigner is a bit taller and easily hits all that is hanging down too low for them. So keep your eyes down and up while looking at the merchandise in the shops and stalls. Basically, you always have to look out very well, also on the roads. Often the sidewalks can be ‘overpopulated’ at times. Especially when there are vendors sitting at both sides of the sidewalk trying to sell their stuff. This forces people to walk on the road. In San Fernando, I had a friend who also was Dutch and on Sunday afternoons we liked to drink some beer together. There was a nice place where we could sit outside. One day we left and he was going home with me to have dinner. Walking to his car I left the sidewalk for reasons I mentioned earlier. When we were close to his car I got distracted by something that happened. Maybe someone called or a car blew its horn. I really cannot recall what it actually was that caught my attention. What I do remember was that I should not have made the next step. I ended with my left leg hanging somewhere under the road while my arms were spread out on the pavement like I was sitting at a table that was way too high. What had happened? At the side of the road were these concrete blocks. Not too wide but yet wide enough to fit a leg. One block was missing right there and then. Fortunately, I only had a few scratches so I was fine. What worries me more is the fact that there is no use to report cases like these because nobody will take care of it anyway. Even months later the gap was still there. 

This brings me to another subject. Something I cannot fully understand. During the past few years, I talked with other foreigners and they all like the way houses are being built here. Unlike Western countries where there are too many rules and laws, it is so much easier to build here. Nobody cares if it looks right compared to other buildings in the same area. So what you get is a variety of designs. No suburbs with townhomes here. Well…ok, there are a few as I noticed. Houses that all look the same and have the same colors as well. But it is not very common and I hope it will never be. Now the thing is as follows. Visitors love the way the cities and municipalities look. They adore the variety in design and colors. (This, by the way, does not only go for the Philippines or Asia. In southern Europe countries there is also a huge variety in the way houses are built.) Now if you love it so much this way, then why can it not be like that in your own country? This really puzzles me. Of course, there is more going on than only the way houses are built. Take for instance the traffic and vehicles. To me, it is very chaotic. I tried to drive a car here once and after ten minutes I told my housemate he better take over. During rush hour many jeepneys are overloaded. The drivers know exactly what part of the trip that will cause no problems with the policemen. Of course, it is not allowed to let people stand on the footboard but it happens. Tricycles are often called taxis. When I am sitting in a tricycle with somebody else it is already very hard to move a muscle. Can you imagine the look on my face when I saw 5 people coming out of a tricycle? Motorcycles can easily carry 4 people. Father in front, riding the machine, mom on the backseat, holding a small baby and 4-year old son or daughter sitting on the tank between father's arms. Of course, I was shocked when I saw people riding this way. But now I am convinced the number of accidents is not higher than in other countries. A lot of things are simply possible here. And that (to me) is the charm of the country. 

Speaking of the charm: nature is really great here. Mountains, hills and rivers, it all looks so beautiful. It is a shame that too many people throw their trash everywhere. That is not only here of course. This attitude is a worldwide disease. Unfortunately. On pictures, you never see the trash on the beaches. The good thing, however, is that many resorts make sure their beaches are clean. And so does the police if you are unfortunate like me last year. Here’s a part I got out of a book. But hey, it’s my own book. So we can’t call it plagiarism can we?

Recently the community has placed traffic lights at the Plaza. For the first weeks traffic officers had to keep an eye out because many drivers ignored these lights. During the first days, traffic officers talked to the drivers but soon they started writing fines. A few weeks later I went to visit Esther after I bought some groceries. I cross the highway and of course, I look left and right to see if it is clear. On the other side of the street is a traffic officer who waves at me. I have to come to him. Well, it is the direction I need to go anyway. He asks me if I had not seen the traffic lights at the zebra crossing. “Yes, I know sir,” I reply, “but that is one hundred meters to the right, cross the street and then walking all those hundred meters back. Such a waste of time, sir.”  He is not impressed and asks a colleague to bring me to the office. That is located nearby and again on the way to Esther’s. In the office, I get an explanation for the meaning of the traffic lights –as if I would not know ̶   and then I am told the fine is 200 pesos or two hours of community service. I do not want to have a good mood spoiled and tell them I have no money in my pocket. It is not even a lie. “So gentleman, community service. Where and when?” Two hours later is not going to hurt me or Esther. One of the men tells me that I can start right here, right now by sweeping the floor. I take a look at the small office and start laughing. “Two hours? It will be finished in two minutes!” I say. The man answers in Tagalog and hands me a broomstick. “They obviously have had more customers today,” I think because there is hardly any dirt or dust to be found. When I finish sweeping in front of the door I ask if I can throw it “all” outside. But no, someone is sent upstairs and he returns with a dustpan. And that was it. We talk a bit more and they show me images of the crossroads. “There is something I would like to comment about. Very often I see buses lining up at the bus stop and the last bus is always blocking pedestrians who want to cross the zebra crossing and the traffic that comes from the side road. So when the lights turn green they cannot move. That is annoying for the drivers, especially the tricycle drivers who need to make money. Actually, I think those buses create more dangerous situations than one pedestrian crossing in the middle while checking if it safe to cross.” The men look at me for a while and then thank me for my concern and bringing it to their attention. “Sir, we will have a look at that.” When I leave I feel satisfied that I have made my point and my mood is still as good as it was before.

A few years ago cities like Manila and Baguio implemented new regulations I cannot quite well understand. Smoking in the streets is prohibited. Other cities and municipalities quickly followed this example. We all know smoking is bad for our health. No arguments about that. But really, are cigarettes worse than all the exhaust gases? It is my true belief that 100 cigarettes still produce less pollution than the gases that come from 1 car. I am definitely not promoting smoking here. It is just that I cannot understand that the pollution from cars is fully accepted even though it is worse than some cigarettes. 

When I studied nursing I learned how to take care of babies. How to wash them for instance and how to hold and carry them. In the Philippines, students use other books I guess. Babies are often held by the middle and legs, arms and head are just hanging down, like if the woman carries a rag-doll. Please do not get me wrong because I am not judging. Just observing with Western eyes. And I have to admit that I was shocked at first. The nurse within me screamed, “You have to support the head!” After a while, however, I realized that this way of holding babies has been done for a long time and I see strong men and women here. It obviously never harmed them when they were kids. So who am I to say this is wrong? Could it be the people in Western countries are too anxious? I guess so. 

To finish I would like to mention something else I noticed and I just love it. The Philippine people are masters in solving problems in simple yet very useful ways. About a year ago I met this family who lived on a farm. The second son had a nice bicycle but unfortunately, one of the pedals was broken. What he did was so remarkable. He cut some bamboo and made a pedal out of it. No, I don’t think any rider of the Tour de France would like the idea but it’s a cheap solution and as long as it works it is just perfect. What to do with an empty 5-liter bottle? Cut in half and the lower part is a perfect flower pot. The upper part too: hang it upside down in a tree and you can grow small plants or orchids. The same goes for used jerry cans. With some creativity, you can make a dustpan out of it. From old leaves from the palm tree, you cut out the main grains (or ribs), let them dry, tie them together and you have a perfect stick broom. Really, I have seen so many things made out of used materials. And it all works perfectly fine. 

For the moment this is about all that came up. Of course, there is a lot more to tell. Therefore I am open to suggestions and questions. Please let me know your thoughts.


Love the ones you’re with and be loved in return
Anonymous said...

Nice story about you doing community service. :)