Environment...What environment?

Saturday, February 27, 2016



Early this the morning I went out to get our weekly groceries. Too late I realized that I had forgotten my small backpack. It is not too big but it is perfect to carry the heavier stuff. Equally important is the fact that I get fewer plastic bags. No matter what you buy, it all goes in tiny, flimsy plastic bags. It is pretty ‘normal’ to come home with 10 to 15 of them. We try to re-use them for trash but still it is just way too much. A few years ago I was visiting a friend South-East of Manila and I was happily surprised to see that the municipality had banned the plastic bags. How nice would it be if all cities followed this example? How nice would it be if there are fewer plastic bags wandering through the streets? It is not only a Philippine issue of course. It is a worldwide problem. In San Fernando, I saw this poster last year:

attitude... and education..

That is right. It is a matter of attitude. However, not only for civilians. Communities and companies should come up with good examples. Several years ago I did a training in (honey) beekeeping. In the end there was a celebration with speeches and of course we all got a certificate. In one of the speeches, we were told that taking care of the environment was very important. Then we got our afternoon drinks and snacks. Served on…Styrofoam plates! My friend who attended this ceremony said in a loud voice that he did not understand how people can talk about the importance of a healthy environment and then uses food that is served on one of the biggest enemies for the environment. Yes, he was very right. No one can argue with that. Our planet looks so beautiful and what do we do? Pollute it with our trash! Can you imagine all the plastic bags and wrappers that are here in Chocolate hills? Tons of tourists go there to see the beauty of it and many of them just throw their trash. I really don’t get it. 

Chocolate hills in Bohol
Now, this the morning after shopping I got home with -of course- many plastics. We put all the stuff where it belongs and I felt like making iced-tea with the new taste I purchased. While the water came to a boil I opened the box and could not believe what I saw. Every teabag was wrapped in plastic. I can’t help but wonder why? It is such a waste of material and the world can do without it. The same goes of course for the vegetables we can buy in supermarkets. Why do they all have to be packed in plastic? First of all, leaves can’t ‘breathe’ anymore and will start rotting faster. Second, we come home and just throw the plastic. I really can’t see what good it does.

Each tea bag in it's own wrapper.

Later today I will look for the company that wrapped my tea bags and I will send an email. But if it will help?


Love the ones you’re with and be loved in return.