Camayan Beach

Sunday, December 20, 2015


beach wave



Recently friends of ours suggested spending a day on the beach. Since we have a Dutch friend over, this sounded like a plan. Our friends Joko and Dorothy would collect us at around 8.30 AM. Now when we went to the beach back in the Netherlands we used to bring some bread and maybe some water too. Not in the Philippines. When our friends arrived with the jeepney (Joko is a jeepney driver) there were bags and cool boxes, all filled to the brim.  It is a bit over an hour's drive from Olongapo City and first, we went a bit up in the hills. It is amazing how one can feel the difference in temperatures. We finally entered a big parking lot that belonged to a hotel. Employees used a cart to bring all our stuff to the beach via a concrete path. And we had to walk through the sand. We got ourselves a nice spot under the trees on the beach. Everybody immediately started preparing ingredients and food for lunch. Chris and I were told to just sit and relax. That was a nice gesture and sure enough, we had lots of subjects we could talk about but I felt a bit uncomfortable seeing the others busy. Since it was Chris’s second day in the Philippines I could understand the consideration for him, still adjusting to being a man having his holidays. But for me, it should not be a problem. Even while talking I can do some cutting too. 

While Chris and I are having our chat (I want to know about what has been happening in the Netherlands) Paul and Dorothy arrives. Paul starts cutting tomatoes and mango. Bit by bit the dishes go to the table. Joko has grilled pork and now is doing the chicken as well. When we are all together to enjoy this wonderful lunch, Joko gets ice cold drinks from the cool box. Everybody likes to go walking while I prefer resting. So no need to make a decision on who is going to stay behind to watch our belongings. I listen to nice music and watch people swimming and playing. A circular pen has a sign attached to it. In the sand are sea turtle eggs. I can read when they were laid and when they are expected to be hatched any time soon now (In San Juan, La Union I helped once placing the hatchlings, born in a sanctuary, in the sand on the beach. A wonderful experience.). 

Apart from the music coming from our small Bluetooth box (No, I do not play it loud), it is remarkably quiet here. Unlike many other places along the coast side, there is no videoke here. After having taken the necessary pictures the groups comes back and now they want to swim. Two lines with floating balls are running from the beach into the sea. I guess between 25 and 30 meters long. They then are connected through another line. There’s a raft at one of the corners from where people can dive into the water that, by the way, is not too deep at all. It really seems to be a safe place. The two lifeguards present there can sit and relax. When Chris comes back he tells me that the water is so clear that you easily can see the fish. I too saw them; jumping out of the water every now and then. Next to the swimming area is a place, suitable for snorkeling. After a few hours, I need to see the comfort room and on my way, I notice this sign that says “Please do not feed the monkeys”. It turns out that the beach is at the edge of a rain-forest. The monkeys are not tame but yet they are used to see people. It is very clear to me that the people here take care of the environment and all living species. It is heart-warming because so many people always drop their trash everywhere. Our planet once was so beautiful but in our modern times with all plastic and glass bottles, it seems not too many people care about their environment. Fortunately, there are places like Camayan Beach; a feast for the eyes and ears.