Pets Are No Trash Or: The Story Of A Modern Snow White.

Friday, April 21, 2017



Let me start with my sincere apologies. It has been 2 months ago since I wrote my last post. Writer's block can have many causes. Actually, there was so much that I wanted to write about that it became huge chaos. I could not concentrate on just one subject and all got mixed up. But here is a subject that has kept me busy since last Monday.

For 2 days I had heard a young kitten and as much as I looked I could not find it. We live at the foot of a hill and the sound came from above where there also is a house. Last year my neighbor found a young kitten in a plastic bag and we suspected the people on the hill for having it thrown away. In December a young kitten sat under our window, screaming for a day. We fed it and she considers our home her place now. 

Last Monday, April 17 the third day, I heard the kitten screaming but this time the sound came from very nearby. In front of our house I found her. Exposed to the sun –it is summer right now- she was in a very bad condition and I took her inside, laid her on a soft mat and actually I thought it was going to die. One eye was very dirty and she could not open it but I did not want to disturb her during her last hours. One would not give a cent for her life. That much was clear to me.

The next morning I was very surprised to see the little poor thing was still alive. This meant I had to start feeding her because she showed with a loud voice that she was alive and hungry. More than likely dehydrated too. Now I had a problem. What to use to get some milk in that tiny mouth? Of course, she was not used being picked up by a human so she tried to scare me, hissing softly. I managed to get some milk in but I was not satisfied. And neither was she!

bird welcoing the new kitten
Our bird Rocky is welcoming the new kitten

Then I realized that I had this small bottle with medicines for birds. It was already expired. All I had to do was clean the bottle thoroughly and use a funnel to pour in the milk and water. The little girl did not like it but I would not have that attitude so I force-fed her. Despite the hard work, the self-built-nest stayed dry even though I rubbed her belly after every feeding session. However, she had survived another day and that made me feel good. That evening she fell asleep in my lap after the last feeding of the day. This meant that she ate least felt comfortable enough now.
 
Kitten sleeping in my lap
Sleeping after being fed
On FaceBook I had posted messages on several sites about rescuing pets and wildlife animals and though these messages with pictures got many likes, nobody responded to my question if there would be someone who would like to take care of the little kitten. I did some research on the net about raising kittens and frankly, it all worried me. The milk alone would not be enough. Young kittens need a special drink, available at pet shops. Since my friend once had told me that he does not really like cats I would not even bring this subject up. The kitten that was saved by my neighbor drank milk from her dog and it grew up perfectly well. 

My friend makes his own protein shakes that he drinks after doing work out in the gym. I just asked him if I could use some of the powder for the little kitten. And so our little princess got something better than just milk. On the third day, she was very lively, trying to climb out of the improvised nest. She is probably about 2 weeks old as I found out. She still cannot really see.

On day 4 she surprised me twice. The first time was early morning. I was preparing breakfast and this time there was neither sound nor any movement coming from the nest. Carefully I checked just to find her sleeping next to a tiny poop which I immediately took away. Only 2 hours later she woke up, calling for food. She now was very satisfied while drinking because she was purring. Soon after I had placed her back there was a big poop. And the tissues on the bottom were wet. Wow! It really started to look so much better than that first miserable day.

Proud of kitten's first poop
Glad with a poop!
Every day is important now. If she will survive 2 weeks I’m sure she will make it. No thanks to the people who did not care about life. The thought of people not taking care of their pets fills me with anger. Why do people want to have pets when they cannot take care of them? Of course, I realize that not everybody can afford to have their cat sterilized. If that is the matter the consequence should be that you cannot keep a pet. Another possibility is asking for help. Doing my research I found out that there are organizations that can help. That means that there is absolutely no reason to throw your kittens away as if they are trash. Our cats and dogs are living friends that have feelings too. What about the mother cat? She definitely will miss her kids. 

Hand feeding our kitten Snow White
An old small bottle is a very good tool
What strikes me most is the fact that there are so many Christians who believe that a God created the world. Now excuse me for putting it bluntly but if you worship a God and recognize he created all life on this planet, then should you not treat life with respect? 


Love the ones you’re with and be loved in return.