3 Reasons For Not Liking Our Beloved Cellphones?

Friday, November 27, 2015


cellphone


Somehow it feels like I have to apologize for being somewhat older. But yes, it’s true, I grew up in the late fifties and sixties. We didn’t have a TV. All we had was the local newspaper, a radio and a telephone hanging on the wall. That phone was so heavy you could easily kill somebody with it. If relatives or friends called us and nobody was home that was just bad luck. “Try again later!”

Yes, it’s hard to believe for younger generations. So many things changed so much at such a fast pace. It’s hard to imagine now that there could be houses without a pc and many people ask themselves “What did I do before the pc was introduced? And how did I do all the things I did back then? How did we spend our evenings?” Telephones became lightweight cellphones. Although I remember started working in-home care in 1997.

We were provided with the latest invention then; a cellphone that came close to the walkie talkie we used to play with as kids. This phone, even though it was very helpful than was too big to fit in any pocket. That changed very soon and cellphones now are small, flat and weigh almost nothing. And even more, you can browse the internet with it, checking mail and, most important to the majority, keep your friends updated on Facebook. So, relatives, partners, and friends can contact each other every moment they want, no matter where they or we are.

Now, this is where my concern starts. I like my privacy very much and sometimes I just don’t want to be disturbed. Turning off the phone can’t always be an option. Sometimes you’re expecting a call or a message. But sometimes messaging is no fun at all. “Hi, where are you?” ‘home’. “What are you doing?” ‘laundry and dishes’. “Who’s with you?” ‘Nobody’. This is the kind of message that don’t make me happy at all. What is the use of it? I often wonder.

One day I was going to travel about 5 hours for the birthday of my then-partner’s mother. I was asked to send a message when I got on the bus. At 7 AM the first message came in “Where are you now?” ‘Home, packing my stuff’. “Hmm, I thought you were already in the bus”. ‘Will leave in 10 minutes’.

Yeah right. Getting messages and answering them is very time-consuming. You have to drop everything, walk to another room because of course, you forgot to bring the phone with you, running back and forth to pack all you need. On my way to the road, a new message came. “Where are you now?” ‘Well, I was on my way to the road. Missed the bus because I had to answer you’. I think you get my point here? 

Another thing is that people seem to be busier with their phone than being aware of where they are. Crossing streets while texting for instance. Two days ago I bumped into a picture of an official sign “Attention: zombies”. The picture showed 2 people walking while staring at their phone. Less dangerous, nevertheless not very nice are the people that are making phone calls while shopping. No more “good morning” for the cashier. Personally, I consider this rude behavior.

When you use public transport I bet you heard people shout in their phones so loud that it makes you think “Why don’t you open the window? The whole city can hear you!” In restaurants, I’ve experienced companions more busy with their phones than with the friends they went out for dinner with. No, browsing the net. Obviously, that can’t wait for another hour. 

My point is: How do we communicate with each other? Is this how life will be from now on? My parents must have had the same thoughts I think. Does it mean I’m getting old? Some will immediately answer this question with a big YES. I myself am not so sure about it. It’s about good manners. Of course, I know most people have good manners. It’s just that using the cellphone/smartphone at any given moment seems to have become very common and I regret that more than I can say.

Got other reasons? Please share them in your comment. 



Love the ones you’re with and be loved in return.
Playing Tourist said...

Thank you Frans for this post. I ended up googling cellphone etiquette from Uncle Google.

fransvanliempt said...

Hello Katherine,
thanks for your comment.
And what was the result?